Friday, August 06, 2010

assignment #43

#43 Make an exhibition of the art in your parents' house.
Take pictures of your parents art. This is the art you grew up with- that picture that has always hung above the toilet, the abstract print that confused you as a child, the statuette of an angel- art so familiar that you might not even think of it as art. But it is! And it shaped your vision of reality. Your photos should include a little bit of the surrounding area, a bit of the wall or table the art is on. Also, give a one-sentence description of how you viewed these as a child (Did you like it? Or, how did it make you feel?)


This is a print of elephants done on linen. It used to hang in my parent's room, it now resides in the basement over the circet breaker box. I love this. I want to get a tattoo of this some day.

When I was a kid, I used to call this ship wreck (even though the ships not wrecked) and I would make up stories that I would have to climb a mountain after my ship drifted to shore. I would take my robe and put plastic spoons my pcokets (climbing tools) and I would use the tie from my robe as my "rope" to get me up the mountain.

I don't have any special memories for this one, but whenever I see it, I know that I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment