Tuesday, February 09, 2010

assignment #11

#11 photograph a scar and write about it.
Photograph a scar on your body or on someone else's body. Make it a close-up shot so that it shows just the scar. Include a story about how the scar happened.




Growing up my family would go camping twice each summer, once to a new campground and once to our favorite, Battleground in Washington. When I was 12 we were at the new campground (I can't remember where) and Jeremiah had invited a neighbor boy, Jerry (his head was shaved, all except a patch towards his forehead).

One night we were roasting marsh mellows and making smores. I don't really like marsh mellows, but I wanted a smore so I grabbed the roaster stick (it was metal with two prongs) and started roasting my mellows. By the time I had decided I wanted a marsh mellow, Jeremiah and Jerry had finished, but instead of putting the roaster sticks in the bucket of cool water, they decided to heat them until they were more like lava sticks. Jerry then set his lava stick on the picnic table and walked away.

When I finished roasting, I made my way to the table with the chocolate and graham crackers, also the table harboring the lava stick. I wasn't long enough to reach over anything so I leaned on the table and put my forearm on the lava stick. It burned me. I don't remember it hurting too bad, the only thing I can say for certain is I didn't cry. Normally I would have cried, but because I didn't, I was proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment